HOW TO START AND FINISH RICH


"FINISH WHAT YOU START"

Yes, you can start over (or get started in the first place!) and, yes, you can still finish rich, even in this economy. BUT you can’t start over and finish rich if you give up. You have to get back up off the ground, dust yourself off, and keep going.
Recessions like the one we have just experienced are not fun. They are gut shattering, and they take a long time to recover from. But we do recover. What’s more, the aftermath of a recession is the ideal environment in which to lay the foundation for a secure, financially independent future. Although the economy has already come a long way back from where it was in the winter of 2008–09, both real estate values and stock prices are still way below the peaks they hit in 2006 and 2007. In other words, there are bargains—in some cases, phenomenal bargains—to be had. More important, recessions can be a great time to reset your financial life, your goals, and your values.

how to start over?
 (Hint: It’s Never Too Late)

I got an email from a reader last week with the subject line “How to Start Over”. In it, the reader shared his personal story – being about 10 years into his career – balancing life with kids, a family, and a big corporate job – all while trying to establish his own digital platform and business – and feeling like it’s time to break free and change things, but feeling overwhelmed by the idea of “starting over”.

He brought up a point that I’ve been confronted with many times. I wanted to share my response to his email, with one overwhelming preface: You’re never “stuck”. As much as it may feel like you can’t get out of your current situation – as much weight as you put on the importance of maintaining your nine to five – as much fear as you have of disappointing your family – regardless of your current situation and regardless of your age, you’re never ever stuck.

“…I think you bring up a point that folks are faced with time and time again. I always share the story of my dad and I playing golf last year. He’s been an accountant for almost 40 years, and he’s always been apathetic to his work and has always told me he’s just “working to retire”. When I asked him why he doesn’t quit and do something else – his response was that he’s been doing what he does for so long, and it just “is what it is” – and that he doesn’t know what else he would do.

Believe me, I can understand the sentiment, and it’s hard to get into something new when you’ve been doing the same old thing for so long. But it was this conversation that inspired me and continues to motivate me to not waste a moment that I have to work on doing what I really WANT to be (and should be) doing. It’s kept me humble and active in continuing to build my business and establish myself professionally.

The best thing I can say is that you’re not stuck. You never are. It’s not easy to break free and do your own thing – especially with the added responsibility of supporting a family – But if I, a 27 year old with not a heck of a lot of experience, can get fired and start a business at age 24 – someone at age 35, or 50, or however old, with a heck of a lot more life and work experience, can certainly do it. It just takes creating a plan of action for yourself – and not being defined by your age, or held back by your current situation.

Take things one step at a time. You don’t have to quit TODAY and go “pursue your passion”. Create a plan. Start working on your passions on the side (it sounds like you already are) – and set yourself up to make an easier transition in the not-too-distant future. It also REALLY helps to set a deadline for yourself – a date to take the leap – and work toward that…”
Share:
spacer

No comments:

Post a Comment